Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Mike's 2015 Boxed Nintendo 64 Collection


I got my Nintendo 64 for Christmas of 1996.  It was the first Nintendo console that I knew about before its release, so I was super hyped about it and Super Mario 64 especially.  Since I got my Nintendo Power subscription starting in 1993, I was able to read all about the upcoming "Project Reality" or "Ultra 64," as it was originally known, and drool over all the new games.

Ironically, Nintendo Power never me sent the Super Mario 64 issue, so I had to buy it from the store.  That really irritated me because the system was released in September and I had to wait until December to get one, so I at least wanted to read all about it and study maps and strategies until then.

Luckily, I did get to play the system once before its release.  My father took me to Sears (either for Christmas shopping or so he could buy tools) and Super Mario 64 was available to play on the demo unit in the video games section.  I had to wait in line behind a few kids, but I got my turn, and it was wonderful.  Ironically, no one was playing the Sega Saturn or PlayStation demo kiosks.  Everyone wanted to try Mario 64.

In California at least, the console was sold out during the holidays of 1996, and things like extra controllers were really hard to find.  My mother had to search all over town to find the system, but she finally checked Best Buy at the right time and was able to get me the system plus Super Mario 64 and Wave 64.  I spent the holidays playing through both games, and it was loads of fun.  I just couldn't put the controller down.  The Nintendo 64 also marked the first console that was purely mine (my brother and I shared the NES and SNES).


My system is in excellent condition and still works flawlessly.  I still have one of my original controllers, although I replaced the analog stick about a year or two ago.  I originally picked up a second controller right after Christmas of 1996, but the analog stick finally broke after about 10 years, so I had to replace it.  At the time I was able to simply order a brand new one directly from Nintendo's website, but it didn't come with a box or anything.  However, I kept my original controller box from around 1996, so it didn't really matter.

The system is stored in the same "system house" that I mentioned in my NES collection blog post.  It came from the Super Power Supplies Catalog from Nintendo Power.



The Nintendo 64 saw fewer control options than either the NES or SNES (it didn't have light gun, as one example), but there were still some good third-party controllers if you knew where to look.  A company named Interact became the successor to Asciiware (at least in my mind) by putting out turbo controllers and joysticks.  Interact had actually released some programmable controllers on the SNES, but I never got to try them.


Sometime in 1997 I spotted the Sharkpad Pro 64 in Best Buy (they used to have an awesome video game section), and I instantly decided that I had to get one.  It kept the same basic form factor as the official N64 controller but came in clear plastic and featured turbo.  I bought it on the spot.  Unfortunately, my original one broke on me within a few years, but I was able to replace it with another new one a few years ago off eBay.  In my mind, it's the best third-party controller on the system.  It feels like the spiritual successor to the NES Max and the Asciipad.

However, the Sharkpad Pro 64 apparently had a design flaw (I think with the analog stick), so Interact quickly issued a redesign called the Sharkpad Pro 64 2, which featured a bat-shaped design instead of the original three-pronged design.  I actually bought one of those after my original version broke, but I hated the feel of it (it was hard to hang onto the sides), so I sold it.  I store the Sharkpad in one of the common controller cases that stores used to carry.

I spotted the Arcade Shark a little while after I got Sharkpad (either 1997 or 1998), and I decided to get it as well.  Like with my NES and SNES, I picked up two standard controllers, a turbo pad and a joystick for the N64.  However, the Arcade Shark also broke on me a few years after I got it, so I bought a replacement around 1999 or so.  I then replaced that one with a third Arcade Shark a few years ago, so the box is from the recent one.


I remember seeing the V3 Racing Wheel in stores back during the N64 era, but I at that time I didn't have much interest in getting one.  A few years ago I decided to buy one off eBay (it was only $30 brand new), and it ended up being a lot of fun.  It works great with arcade racing games.

The Nintendo 64 was the first system where I started keeping the boxes and manuals for all my games and accessories, so I still have the original packaging for every game and item that I purchased brand new as a kid (except for the Arcade Shark, which got replaced, and one of my 12-game organizers).


The reason I have both a separate Expansion Pak box and Donkey Kong 64 is that I received the Expansion Pak before Donkey Kong 64 came out (it was released prior to the game).  So when I got Donkey Kong 64 for Christmas of 1999, I simply gave my friend the extra Expansion Pak and kept the packaging.

I only recently picked up the official Cleaning Kit.  Before that I used a third-party brand.  Controller Paks came in either a box or a blister pack (I think the box was only for the first year or two of the system), so although I have two Controller Paks, I only have one box due to one of them coming in a blister pack.


One of the 12-game organizer boxes is my original one.  Even though I bought two of them back in the late '90s, I lost one of the boxes somehow.  I managed to find a replacement box this year though.


I have two different Sharkpad Pro 64 boxes because I kept the original box (the smaller one on the left) even though I threw away the first controller after it broke.  When I bought the new controller off eBay a few years ago it was still sealed in its original packaging, so I ended up with two boxes.  I was really surprised to see that there were two different versions for the packaging. 


I picked up the following titles while the Nintendo 64 was still being sold in stores: Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Story, Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Wave Race 64, Excitebike 64, Dr. Mario 64, The New Tetris, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Castlevania, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, Rampage: World Tour, Bass Hunter 64, Top Gear Rally, World Driver Championship and Vigilante 8.  So those are the original boxes from my teen years, which you can see in the picture below.


Hydro Thunder, Gauntlet Legends, Spider-Man, Quake and Turok Rage Wars were picked up sealed within the past few years off eBay and Amazon.  Killer Instinct Gold, Goldeneye 007, Doom 64 and Quake II were picked up used within the past few years, but in really good condition.

I have a real soft spot for the Nintendo 64, and a lot of good memories, but it only ranks as my fourth favorite Nintendo console behind the NES, SNES and Wii.  Although it has an excellent library, 2D games aren't represented very well (nearly everything is 3D), some of my favorite old franchises aren't on the system (hello Double Dragon, Metroid and Punch-Out!!), and the controller is uncomfortable and prone to wearing out.

However, the system has some excellent 3D platforming and racing games, and a legendary selection of FPS titles.  The multiplayer games are also excellent, although I prefer the more accessible, arcade nature of Wii multiplayer titles (not to mention NES and SNES games).

4 comments:

  1. I heard the N64 analog stick can be replaced with a Gamecube-style joystick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. does the arcade shark have the year listed on the back of the box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shows a copyright date of 1996.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for checking that out. That is the date I thought but it is nice to have it confirmed as I couldn't find any hi-res box photos online

      Delete