Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Nintendo 64 Collection



I got my Nintendo 64 for Christmas of 1996 along with Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64.  I was only 12 at the time, and Super Mario 64 seemed like the greatest thing ever.  I remember the system being sold out everywhere during that initial holiday release.  My mother barely got one for me.  The first time I played the system was at Sears, so probably November 1996.  I couldn't put the controller down.  Super Mario 64 was just so mesmerizing to my 12-year-old mind.  I kept getting lost in the 3D levels and I just loved it.  There was so much to explore.

I still have the original system box.  By the time I got this system, I started keeping all the boxes and manuals.  I kept buying accessories as they came out and I got a second gray controller right after Christmas.  More controllers followed.


My game collection is decent, I think.  I own both Zelda games in excellent condition, and Conker's Bad Fur Day as well.  I've heard that is somehow a rare game.  That sounds about right.  I remember buying it the day it came out, and there were plenty of copies available at every store.  No one was buying them because most adults at that time were into PlayStation, not Nintendo 64, and this game had a huge warning label on it.  But damn is it a funny game.  Fun as hell too!


Oh baby!  Look at that sexy box:


Don't forget that backside:


The Nintendo 64 has its own organizer, like the NES and SNES.  Only three of my systems use these because they were only made for those three systems.


One of those controllers is the original one that came with my system back in 1996.  The analog stick is not worn out at all.  And yes, I did use it quite a bit.  My second controller actually broke a few years ago (the plastic part inside that reads the analog stick's movements snapped), but I purchased a replacement directly from Nintendo somewhere around 2005 or so (I don't quite remember).  So both controllers are in excellent condition.

I also own a turbo pad called the Shark Pad Pro 64.  This is the original model, which is shaped like an official Nintendo 64 controller.  It's my favorite third-party controller, but it was replaced about a year after its release by the Shark Pad Pro 64 2, which has a bat shape and isn't anywhere near as comfortable as the original version.



Like with the SNES, extra games are stored in one of these drawer-type storage cases:


Up next I'll show the GameCube, Wii and Wii U.

4 comments:

  1. What Nintendo 64 games do you own have a 16:9 mode? I know you render them in Sony Vegas in HD to make them look amazing. I know Perfect Dark is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just Perfect Dark and Donkey Kong 64. It's strange that Conker's Bad Fur Day doesn't support widescreen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. Even some of the expansion pak games you could render, to make them look good, even though it won't make a difference.

    ReplyDelete